skip to main content

Who do I have to notify when someone dies?

First, notify family and friends of the deceased.

The executor should be notified immediately, if the deceased made a will. The executor is responsible for the funeral, burial or cremation.

The death must be registered with the provincial government. A funeral director will usually assist with this task.

Here are some other steps to take to secure the deceased’s property and avoid future hassles.

If the deceased was receiving government benefits, the government should be notified. Payments made after death usually have to be paid back.

If the deceased was receiving a pension, the pension administrator should also be notified. Overpayments will have to be paid back.

It is a good idea to notify the deceased’s bank or credit union. It is also a good idea to notify any companies that have issued credit cards to the deceased including department stores and gas companies. This can prevent improper use of the deceased’s credit.

The deceased’s health card belongs to the provincial government and should be returned. A valid driver’s licence should be cancelled. A valid passport should be returned to Passport Canada.

This is a short list of first steps. There may be more to do. It will depend on the deceased’s situation.

This information is provided by Goddard Gamage LLP subject to our Disclaimer.